The Normanton Barracks was established in 1906 as an extension to the Alexandra Barracks.

The original barracks comprised of two barrack buildings and a rifle range. Thirty-five oil tanks were later erected at Normanton in 1924 to serve British’s Eastern fleet.

On 10 February 1942, the oil tanks were heavily damaged by a series of air strikes. A deep drain running parallel to the Malayan railways became a complete wall of fire and were visible in the harbour.



After the British withdrew from Singapore in 1971, the admiralty-run oil depot was taken over by the Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) as an additional facility to promote the bunkering of merchant ships. The new depot had 15 oil tanks, garages and office buildings. These oil tanks were connected to a pumping station in Mount Faber for reserve storage purposes.